„Freudenstadt – the town of joy”
Hospitable Freudenstadt with the incredible show of its 50 fountains and colorful flowers welcomes its guests all year round. Calmness, freshness and romance are the three words that best describe its character. And its face are the marvelous Schwarzwald views, the old-time architecture and the key sights, such as the biggest market square in Germany (Marktplatz), the unique angle-shaped Evangelical church (Stadtskirche), the Friedrich’s tower (Friedrichsturm), the 115-year-old building of Palmenwald Hotel. Around the market square of Freudenstadt, about 700 meters away from Palmenwald Wellness hotel, there are numerous boutiques and cozy cafes, where in a Renaissance atmosphere you can relax after the shopping. The traditional summer theatre, the Music Festival or the Magical Night are just some of the events in this fascinating city. The Lukull summer gastronomy festival and the „Frühlingsfest der Gastronomen“ Spring Festival of restaurateurs festival attract a large number of visitors every year – the specialty Schwarzwald Rostbraten, the fine wines from Baden-Baden, music and a lot of good mood accompany the holiday on the square and in the Kurgarten Park. Freudenstadt’s citizens traditionally end the year with a hot wine punch at the Christmas market.
Top attractions in Freudenstadt:
Herzog Friedrich-Tour – relive history with delight! A walk with the Herzog through his town, the Schwarzwald pearl and capital, built upon his order in 1599. The several-hour Herzog Friedrich Tour, which gives you the opportunity to know the history and key sights, also includes culinary temptations – wine and snacks at the Pause Café. It is organized every Saturday from 14:30 till 16:30, from April to October included.
Germany’s biggest market square. The weekly market on the square is held from May to September, every Tuesday and Friday from 7:00 till 12:00, and from October to April, every Friday from 7:00 till 12:00. On the market square you will find:
- The bronze Venice statue by sculptor David Fahrner from 1954, a symbol of Freudenstadt’s recovery after World War II;
- The unique angle-shaped town church in Baroque style; opened all year round from 10:00 till 17:00; free guided tour on Friday from 14:00.
- Freudenstadt Municipality, built by Ludwig Schweizer in 1953. The building’s 43-meter-high tower can be visited during the municipality’s working hours Monday to Friday from 8:00 till 13:00, and on Thursday – from 14:00 till 17.30.
- The town house, built by Ludwig Schweizer in 1953, which hosts the town’s library, the museum and Ludwig Schweizer Hall.
- The historical Heilige Dreikönige mine for natural barium sulphate and silver extraction, located around 600 meters away from Palmenwald Schwarzwaldhof Hotel, dates from before the establishment of Freudenstadt. In the period 1996 – 1999, the colliery was reconstructed to make it suitable for visitors, and there are routes of different levels of difficulty. It is opened during the weekend, May to October, from 14:00 till 17:00.
- Friedrich’s tower (Friedrichsturm), located around 800 meters away from Palmenwald Hotel, was built as a gift to the citizens on the town’s 300th anniversary. From the top of the 25-meter-high tower, there is an amazing view to Freudenstadt’s main part, to Northern Schwarzwald, and to Schwäbisch Alps. Visits are free, every day from May to October.
- Kinberg meteorological station is open for visitors free of charge from May to October on Thursday from 15:00 every second and fourth week of the month.